Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Of dingos and babies......

Have you ever heard the expression "a dingo ate my baby"?

I was just watching an old episode of Seinfeld where Elaine uses this simple statement to get out of boring conversation with a person at a party. I had heard this expression before and always wondered where it came from.

Well after a few minutes of searching on the trusty interweb, i found my answer. The expression came into popular use in the mid 1980s as a result of a court case in Australia surrounding a woman who's baby had gone missing while on a camping trip. Right off the bat the police suspected foul play, so they questioned her unrelentingly about the events of the night in question. After hours of interogation she would only answer the police questions with the response "A dingo ate my baby!". This got out to newspapers and the rest is history. There was actually a movie made about the case called "A Cry in the Dark".

Mystery solved!

No comments: